History of the treasure in dates

-     April 18, 1945 a special train with lorries left Berlin, transporting 460 boxes

-     April 20, night, last two accessible planes JU – 52 transporting 80 boxes departed from Berlin

-     both groups left for the only possible and safe direction, eastward to the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia, all the boxes arrived to Prague April 22

-     any further trip was impossible regarding the fast moving front, Martin Borman signed an order in Berlin: Everything must be safely hidden.

-     the task is given to the colonel Emil Klein, the commanding officer of the Pioneer School of SS in Hradištko

-     all the boxes were transferred from Prague to the tunnel prepared in Hradištko; Russian and French prisoners of war, from the concentration camp nearby, stored them under ground and masked them; once the work had been done they were all gunned down by the SS guard; next step – Klein and his adjutant Steige massacred the SS guard

-     in  May 1945 Klein refused to fulfil the order to blow the Prague bridges and the Štěchovice dam and let himself be taken prisoner of the Americans


-     February 11, 1946, a group of American soldiers came to Hradištko, accompanied by a German officer Günter Aschenbach. The group opened up a tunnel, unknown so far, and takes a number of boxes to Frankfurt. The Czechoslovak authorities were not aware of the procedure.

-     March 7, 1946, the delivery was given back to the Czechoslovak authorities – it concerned part of Frank’s archives (since then the place is called Frank’s tunnel); the documents treat the possible Germanization of Bohemia and Moravia. The Americans probably expected to find documents on the results of military research and weaponry systems that the German Army could not use in the War.

-     end of the year 1946 – Klein – after being transferred to the Czechoslovak authorities he was questioned in relation to the Štěchovice treasure and there were hints of more boxes being hidden in Štěchovice area. The Ministry of Interior searched in the ravine Dušno with no result.

-     in 1949 the Defence Minister Alexej Čepička closed the area down with the military estate order

-     in 1963 based on the reports of Soviet scouting patrol from Vienna a new search campaign of 1963-1964 started, with the help of geological survey and other modern methods, with no result

-     spring 1963 – Helmut Gaensel meets Emil Klein in Valdice prison while serving his sentence

-     December 24, 1964 – Klein was extradited to Germany (in the exchange for the agent Abel) and was often paid visit by Helmut Gaensel released from prison

-     60s Gaensel was travelling in South America

-     1968 – Gaensel discussed the possibility of taking out the treasure with the Czechoslovak authorities but the arrival of the allied armies terminated all the activities, Gaensel left Czechoslovakia

-     1973 – Emil Klein died in Germany


Kurt Lenke 
guarded  boxes
from JU - 52 in
Hradištko area  in 1945


-     70s – 1989 there were some attempts to pick up the Štěchovice treasure under the control of the Ministries of Interior and Defence, the last works had been done before the Revolution by the foreign trade company Omnipol, trading mainly with weapons

-     since 1991 – Gaensel came back to Czechoslovakia to search for the Štěchovice treasure

-     90s Gaensel searched mainly in the ravine Dušno and surrounding area, few surveys were done also elsewhere

-     2004 – he localised a place in the Small Klein’s ravine where the seismic radar and other technologies confirmed the existence of ten meters long tunnel, Gaensel prepares its opening